I'm looking for a bit of advice at the moment and hoping one (or several) of you can help me out. I'm currently a student at Florida International University in Miami, Fl. I'm getting ready to apply for the National Student Exchange program for the Fall 06 / Spring 07 school year. I'm (at least very heavily considering being) a Journalism/Art (or Art History) double major with a minor in Sociology/Anthropology (they both count as 1 combined minor at my university). I've got the list down to a couple of schools, but still don't have my heart set on one specific college. This is where you come in.
I'm trying to decide between schools on a number of factors.
1) What is the Journalism program like? The Art/Art History program? Or does your school not offer these programs (so far from what i've seen I think all the school's i'm considering do).
2) What has been your general experience within your school when it comes to the quality of the education, the professors (their willingness to work with you, their experience, etc), the campus environment, etc?
3) I don't drive at the moment and will most likely not have a car wherever I transfer to. How is the public transportation situation in your area?
4) Dorms. I'd probably have to stay in them (at least the first semester). Any info? Are there single rooms available or are room mates required? Solo showers or shared? Any weird restrictions (curfews or problems with guests, etc)? How's the off campus living situation? Rent ranges and such?
5) Jobs. Hard to get in the area? Same as most places? Easy to get on campus work?
6) Meal plans on campus? Necssary? Worthwhile? Wide variety of food or not really? I'm a vegetarian, somewhat inclined to veganism if that helps your answers out.
7) Anyone reading this currently on the exchange program, going to be part of it, or been in the past? Any advice/information you could share with me?
8) Last but not least: Anything else I should know?
Sorry for such a lengthy post. Thanks soooo much to anyone who takes the time to read (and respond) to this. And any ALL comments are much appreciated! And i'll let you know if I end up deciding on your school for the Fall. :)
PS. Any pictures of the area, campus, dorms, etc would be MUCH appreciated as well.
x-posted in several communities, sorry.
(and if this post is inappropriate to the community, please let me know and i'll take it down asap)